Tuesday 4 February 2014

January 2014 Favorites



Well the first month of 2014 has come and gone - yay!! I don't mind January, but the fact that it's over means that warmer weather is coming soon and the month of love, February, is here!  

I thought I would let you all know some of the things I have been loving this past month!  As I told you in my "weekend getaway packing tips" blog post, my husband and I took a trip to Minneapolis a couple weeks ago.  I finally got to try out some things I've been eyeing for a while and you definitely will see some of them listed below - they have quickly become new favorites.  

So, without any further explanation, here are a few of the things I've been loving in January:

1. Josie Maran 100% Argan Oil




I have been wanting to try this for a long time so while I was at Sephora I purchased a travel size.  The regular size is about $50 so I figured it was worth it to buy a smaller size and test it out before spending that much on an oil.  I have never been afraid of using oils on my face (I used to only use baby oil to remove my makeup) so I was excited to try this.  I have read so many great reviews on Argan Oil and its' benefits for your skin.  The "Josie Maran Argan Oil" claims that it is "a lightweight oil that can be used as a daily moisturizer or treatment for skin, hair and nails".  You can read a more detailed description of the benefits of argan oil here.  I have really dry skin this time of year so I have been using it both morning and night. At night I use a heavier layer all over my face before I put on my night cream.  They say you should pat oils on rather than rub them in so I like to rub some between my hands and pat it all over my face.  Because it has been so cold here and my skin has been extra dry, I mix a little of the oil in with my day cream for some extra hydration in the morning.  I usually wait about 10-15 minutes before putting on my makeup to give it enough time to really sink in to my skin.  I have noticed a huge change already - my skin looks brighter and the texture has really improved.  My skin feels hydrated but never heavy.  Those with oily skin shouldn't be afraid to use this either - just stick to using it only at night.  If you are properly hydrating your face and adding some oil to it, you skin won't feel the need to over-produce oil.  If you're nervous to use this, try starting by adding it to your regular moisturizer at night and go from there!  I will definitely be purchasing a larger bottle of this!! 

2. Philosophy Purity Made Simple Facial Cleanser




I have heard about this cleanser for a long time and finally decided to try it.   It is a simple  and effective cleanser that does the job in taking off any leftover makeup and really cleaning my skin.  It is gentle, moisturizing and non-irritating.  I was loving my old cleanser but found it was pricey for the small amount and since I like to wash my face morning and night I was going through it so fast.  The price is really great for this stuff and it comes in a variety of sizes.  The bonus is my husband has been loving it too since it's simple and doesn't have any girly smell to it.  We will definitely be repurchasing the larger 24 oz. bottle of this once our 8 oz. size runs out.  Click here to check it out! 

3. Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Bronzer - Medium/Deep




This is a matte bronzer that I have been loving for contouring and adding an all over glow.  **BONUS - because it has real cocoa powder in it - it smells like chocolate!  I probably could have gone with the "Milk Chocolate" version which is a little lighter, but the bonus is I need such a tiny amount so I know this will last me a long time - plus it will be a perfect shade for me in the summer.  It blends so beautifully and creates such a natural looking contour.  If you like matte bronzers definitely give this one a try! 

4. Sigma F25 Tapered Face Brush



I am planning a full post on my love for Sigma brushes (and the amazing customer service I experienced) but for now I will let you know about one of my favorite brushes.  This one is perfect for contouring because of the pointed tip but is nice and fluffy for blending the lines or dusting bronzer all over the face.  I thing I may purchase another one of these to use with my setting powder because the point makes it really easy to pat into the corners of the nose and under eyes, but again is so fluffy it allows for a nice light coverage (which is what you want with setting powder to avoid a 'cakey' look).  Check out Sigma's website here!  If you like Mac makeup brushes, these are the same (or better) quality for a lot less money!  As  I said I am planning a future post about all my favorite brushes from Sigma so far.  

5.  Urban Decay Naked 3 Palette



You might remember me mentioning the Naked 2 palette in a previous post and I recently got my hands on the Naked 3.  I thought I couldn't love an eye shadow palette more but oh yes ... it happened.  This palette is filled with the most beautiful rosy neutrals and I can't get enough of it.  You may think this wouldn't be very wearable but I have found myself reaching for this every day.  The rose toned shades create such a pretty, romantic look and I love the versatility of the matte, shimmery, light and dark shades.  On most days I do a simple matte look with the shade "strange" all over my lid and then use "limit" and "nooner" in the crease.  On days that I want to be more adventurous I usually just experiment with some of the other shades and have found so many combinations I love.  I like that the smokey eye you can create with this palette has a softer look to because of the pink tones.  


I originally wrote my list and realized there were, like, twenty things I have been loving this past month!  So to avoid this blog post turning into a novel, I will update you throughout the next month on my other favorites in some smaller posts.  :)

Happy Tuesday everyone! Enjoy the rest of your week - almost halfway through! (woo!!)








4 comments:

  1. I love the sigma brushes! When I went to Minni I had amazing customer service as well! They were so nice!! Excited to hear your story! Definitely am going to try the cleanser!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I love Sigma! I had a problem with a brush and emailed their customer service and they were amazing! Great in store service too! And yes I really love the cleanser - and love that I can buy such a huge bottle of it! Works great with my Clarisonic too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok i'm not even a makeup junkie like you but have been hearing so much about these sigma brushes that I am going to have to try one of them soon! awesome post - want to try the cleanser too :) xx P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula!!! xoxo and yes you NEED to try the brushes - I'll give you my top picks and the ones I've tried! And yeah - loving the cleanser. I just find it's simple, does the job, good ingredients but also not crazy expensive - and I love that we can buy a huge bottle of it!

      Delete