Tuesday 28 January 2014

My Guacamole Recipe

Today I thought I would share with you my Guacamole recipe in honor of the National holiday coming up this weekend, Superbowl Sunday.  Oh wait ... it's not a holiday!?? You mean my husband has been lying  to me all this time!!?? Well, even if it's not actually a holiday, it is in our house! Jay is just a little football obsessed and has been hosting a Superbowl party for as long as I can remember! 

I have adapted this over my years of making it onto what it is today.  I can't even reference to you where I got the recipe because it's probably 2-3 different recipes all jumbled into one. I get lots of compliments on my guacamole so I figured it was a good Superbowl staple to share! 

Since I have changed this around so much it is very rough - meaning I don't know exact measurements.  Yes, I could make it again and measure exactly how much I use but the beauty of this type of recipe is you can just throw things in and adapt it to your personal tastes! 


ALI'S GUACAMOLE RECIPE 

Ingredients:

2-3 Avocados (ripe)
1 Lime
1/4 red onion (chopped) 
1 tomato, chopped OR roughly 1/4 cup salsa (I usually use tomato because I like the fresh taste but if I'm out of those, I throw in some salsa instead!)
Splash of white vinegar
1 tbsp. plain Greek yogurt (you could use sour cream, but I have switched out any usual use for sour cream with plain Greek yogurt so that's what I use!)

**Optional ... splash of hot sauce or a jalapeno finely chopped if you like some spice! Again, add the amount of this to your own spice taste preferences

Instructions:

1.  Mash avocados (I like using a fork or potato masher!) and squeeze the juice from the lime into the mix.  A tip with limes is to roll it along the counter before you cut it in half to help release and loosen up the juice inside.  Next, cut the lime in half.  If you don't have a citrus press you can stick a fork in one half of the lime, twist it around and squeeze right into the avocado mix!  Depending on your flavor preference you can use only half the lime or go ahead and use it all!  As long as you have at least half to help keep the avocado from browning.   

2. Next you can throw in the onion and tomato and mix it up.  Add your jalapeno or hot sauce now if you decide to use it.

3.  Add the splash of white vinegar (for reference, I use roughly one cap full from the vinegar bottle).  I read this ingredient a really long time ago and thought it was kind of different but it is always the number one thing that seems to set my guac apart! It gives a nice tang without being too overpowering.  

4.  My favorite part is the Greek yogurt!  Most people don't even realize I put this in but it just adds a nice subtle creamy-ness and brings it all together.  You can use less or more, but I roughly just throw in a tablespoon.     

5. A lot of people add in some salt and pepper now but I usually don't.  I find if I'm serving it with tortilla chips those are salted enough and I'm not a huge salt fan in general.  With all the other flavors going on I really don't think it is needed anyway!  But, as with the rest of the recipe, if you like salt and pepper go ahead and toss some in to your taste preferences at the end.  


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 


That is it!  Nothing too fancy but an easy recipe that can be adjusted to personal tastes or made really quickly.  I usually make my guacamole as late as possible (to prevent it from browning) so I like having a nice easy recipe to follow that is always a success!

I have heard if you add the avocado seed into your guacamole that will also help prevent browning.  

As I plan out the rest of my Superbowl snacks for our annual party coming up this Sunday I will come up with some more posts for you with my go to recipes!  Stay tuned football fans! 















2 comments:

  1. Hey - next time just cover your guacamole with saran wrap so it doesn't brown. Like put the wrap right on the guac right in the bowl, and push it down so that there is no air between it and the dip. That way all the flavours can come together and you can still make it ahead of time so you aren't in a mad dash to get it done :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooohh now that you say that I think I have heard that before - makes sense so the air doesn't get to the guac!! Thanks for the reminder and tip!! xoxo

      Delete