Tuesday 7 January 2014

2013 Make-Up Favorites

Happy New Year!




To kick off 2014 I decided my first official blog post should be a review of my favorite 2013 beauty finds!  I have made some awesome discoveries in the last year so I am excited to share them with you!  

Since this has the possibility to be quite lengthy I have broken it up into three parts.  Today it's all about my favourite make-up finds!  I could talk forever about every single product I have and use but these are my favourite new finds from the last year.  So ... let's get started!!


Primer:

Benefit The Porefessional

I love this primer!  I discovered this in a sample kit I purchased from Benefit and find myself using it daily.  You only need a tiny amount of this because it is meant to only go on areas of the skin with larger pores so one tube will last you a long time!  I usually put it on my T-Zone and have been so happy with the beautiful canvas it creates under my makeup! 

Foundation:

Covergirl Outlast 3 in 1 Foundation

This foundation claims to be a primer, foundation and concealer in one - and I think it lives up to this claim! I have gotten away from heavy foundation in the last year and usually only use Bare Minerals (I will probably do a future post on my love for Bare Minerals ... let me know in the comments if you would be interested in that!).  Because I spend a good amount of money on Bare Minerals and other makeup and don't use liquid foundation often - I have been on the hunt for a good drugstore version for a while.  I like this for nights out or days when my skin is just not itself and I am wanting a more full coverage look.  I really love this foundation - it feels light on the skin but gives great coverage and blends beautifully! 

Powder:

Rimmel Stay Matte Powder

I have always been a MAC studio fix or pressed powder kind of girl ... but I heard about the Rimmel Stay Matte powder from some of my favorite YouTube beauty gurus and I have to say I am SUPER impressed!  I don't use a lot of powder anymore since like I said I've mainly been using the Bare Minerals foundation but when I want a touch up throughout the day or a setting powder for my Covergirl foundation - this is my go-to! Being so inexpensive is also a great perk!  I also love this for setting my under-eye concealer.  

Concealer:

Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser (Dark Circles)

I don't usually need a lot of concealer for blemishes or discolouration on my face - I find the Bare Minerals foundation does the trick ... but in the last year I have really started to battle with under eye circles! (boo!!)  I let myself get a good enough amount of sleep when I can so I'm not sure where these came from - but this concealer does a great job of covering them up!  I used to use one of the MAC pro longwear concealers - but since I don't use a ton of it I like the fact that I have found a more inexpensive concealer option! 

Bronzer: 

Benefit Hoola

I have a lot of different bronzers that I love but a new find for me is the Benefit Hoola bronzer.  I love that it is a matte finish and isn't too dark - it gives a really natural flush of colour and is great for contouring!  In the summer months I will probably go back to my other favorites that give more of a shimmer/glow but for winter this is a huge favorite! 

Eyes:

Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow

I LOVE the MAC Paint Pots ... but since I can't buy MAC where I live other than online, I was so pleased to find this cream shadow by Benefit this past year (which I can buy at Shoppers Drug Mart)!  It is a GREAT base for eyeshadow but is also lovely alone on the lids.  My favorite shade is "Birthday Suit" ... a beautiful shimmery taupe/bronze shade.   It really lives up to its' claim - it does not crease at all!

Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette

This is definitely a cult favorite in the beauty world but it took me all year to finally get my hands on this!! You will notice a theme here - I use a LOT of MAC products ... so since I have so many MAC eyeshadows in literally every colour imaginable, I wasn't immediately drawn to this palette.  I finally caved and asked for it for Christmas and oohhhhhh boy, when I opened this baby up on Christmas morning I was beyond excited!!!  Sorry to my hubby but I have found a new love! (hehe!!)  This pallete is filled with the most beautiful shades and I find myself reaching for it daily.  Now to get my hands on the Naked 3 pallette and my life will be complete.  :) 

Maybelline The Rocket Mascara

I have a hard time with Mascara - I have very fine eyelashes and they aren't super long ... so I like something that will give me both volume and length.  I try out new mascaras constantly but always go back to my L'oreal Voluminous mascara (which is still a favorite!)  This year I heard a lot of great reviews of this one and never would have otherwise thought to try it.  It has a rubberized brush similar the Covergirl Lash Blast (which I usually don't love) - but something keeps drawing me back to The Rocket!  Some people I have talked to don't like this but hey - it's worth a shot if you're in the market for a new mascara! 

Cheeks

Milani Baked Blush

I heard about the Milani line from some YouTube beauty videos and surprisingly found it where I live at Superstore/Loblaws (a grocery store)!  I'm not sure yet where else to purchase this line but I think in the States can be found at any drugstore.  I usually opt for more high end brands of blush but have been super happy with the Milani Baked Blush line because it is inexpensive, has great colour payoff, blends well and stays on all day! The colour I have pictured above is "Berry Amore".  This colour gives a pretty rose flush to my cheeks with a subtle gold shimmer.  I have heard great things about the shade "Luminoso" as well. 


Brushes

Real Techniques Brushes

These are absolutely amazing and very affordable brushes!! In Canada they can be purchased at Wal-Mart which surprised me since it wouldn't usually be my first choice for new brushes!  I have used other higher end/more expensive brushes and still love those but find these compare and hold up just as well!  Definitely check these out at Wal-Mart, or if you are in the US you can find them at Ulta!  I have been lucky enough to spot these at Winners too which is even better! My favorite so far is the "buffing brush" which I use to apply my foundation, and the contour brush which I love for setting my under eye concealer.     


Well ... that's it!  Clearly I could talk for hours about makeup!! I am planning on following up this post with my favorite finds from 2013 in the categories of skincare, nails and hair products so stay tuned for those! 

Let me know in the comments if you have tried any of these or some of your favorite new makeup finds!!






No comments:

Post a Comment