Sunday 12 January 2014

5 Tips to Beat the Winter Blues


Baby, it's cold outside!  January is one of those months that I find can bring a lot of people down.  It's cold,  the pretty lights of the Christmas season are over and most people are broke from the hectic and expensive holidays.  Not everyone has winter activities to enjoy ... not everyone knows how to ski, skate, snowshoe, etc.  Although I do enjoy those activities, sometimes it is just too darn cold!

In honor of January I wanted to share some of my favorite things to do for beating those winter blues! 

1. Pamper Yourself!


One of my favorite things to do any time of the year (but especially in winter) is an at home spa night!  Start by having a long hot bath or shower and use this time to exfoliate your skin and apply your favorite face and hair masks.  Don't forget to moisturize with a body butter or deep moisturizer to combat dry winter skin.  Following this I like to make a cup of my favorite tea and do an at home manicure and/or pedicure.  I think it's so important to pamper yourself once in a while - it's not only good for your skin and body but makes you feel good inside too! 

2. Try a New Recipe

After a holiday season full of eating and drinking - I love to use January to do a bit of a detox.  I know it's cliche but the new year is a great time to start fresh and push the reset button on your body.  After a month of heavy eating I love to find new lighter recipes this time of year.   My favorite thing to make this month are homemade soups - they are light and healthy, but also warm and super comforting in the -50 degree weather.  If you aren't a big soup fan, why not check out your Pinterest food board and give some of those recipes a try!  You can check out my Pinterest here for some new ideas! 


3. Organize


Of course a new year is a perfect time to get organized!  If you are feeling overwhelmed with organizing just remember you cannot tackle it all in one day or even one weekend.  Getting your whole home organized takes time so don't stress yourself over not getting it done right away (I may know someone who should take her own advice on this one!).  So, since I actually DO tend to stress myself out over this - I made the goal of only one project per day/night.  If I have a busy evening, maybe that one project is simply de-cluttering one drawer in the kitchen.  If I have more time I'll tackle something larger like the linen closet or pantry.  Stay tuned for my posts in the upcoming weeks as I continue to organize my new house!     


4.  Travel

You are probably thinking ... "Ali, you said in your intro these are tips for when you are broke after the holidays!" ... but hear me out!  This year the hubby and I decided on taking a trip this month instead of expensive Christmas gifts for one another.  It is a simple trip to Minneapolis but we are SO excited to just get away and spend the weekend just us!  If you don't have a husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend ... why not plan a trip with your friends!  Again, it doesn't have to be extravagant, just a weekend trip can be so much fun and full of great memories!  So, next Christmas try suggesting a gift like this rather than something you really don't need.  I'm going to enjoy this upcoming weekend so much more than a silly bottle of perfume that I really don't need (although, Valentine's Day is just around the corner and I HAVE been eying up the "Roses de Chloe" perfume for a while ... Jay are you listening? *hehe kidding of course* ... sort of)  ;) 


5. Play Games

Plan a game night!  Whether it is just you and your other half or a big group of friends - you really can't go wrong!  Throw on your comfy clothes, grab some drinks and make some snacks!  We have done this with friends and played a variety of games but have had just as much fun with the two of us, a bottle of wine and a game of Yahtzee! 



Like I said, winter can get so cold and dreary so try one of these tips in those moments you are just sick of winter and need some inspiration to get through it! 


Let me know in the comments below any of your favorite tricks to beat the winter blues! 

No comments:

Post a Comment