Thursday 5 June 2014

The Power of a Lipstick

home-3
www.breakupstomakeup.com
Last week I spent some time with my cousin/bestie in California after going through a rough couple of weeks. 

I knew we would be doing some major retail therapy and one item on the top of my list was a new lipstick.  I didn't want just any lipstick ... but a fancy lipstick.  I am a lip product lover in general but I knew a designer brand would be a way to feel kind of luxurious without totally breaking the bank.  Most designer lipsticks retail anywhere from $35-$45 (brands like Dior, YSL and Chanel, for example).  I could have purchased something else from one of these lines but to me, a lipstick was something I could use every day.  It is something I can pull out of my purse regularly and just feel a little more fancy while doing so.  

While discussing this, my cousin Paula reminded me of the story of the "Lipstick Effect".   The lipstick effect is something that happened during the recession a few years back when most retail sales seemed to decrease but surprisingly lipstick sales rose.   According to researchers at Texas Christian University, the University of Minnesota, the University of Texas at San Antonio and Arizona State University, the more insecure the economy, the more money women spent on beauty products.  Check out this arcticle from The Huffington Post for a little more info behind this theory.  

I didn't know about any of this but in my mind just knew a designer lipstick would be a fun new purchase.  I decided on a YSL "Rouge Volupte Shine" in the shade "8 - Pink in Confidence", a dusty pale pink that is perfect for every day wear.  I think when spending a lot of money on a lipstick you may as well get a shade that you can get a lot of use out of.  I didn't want something like dark red or hot pink that I would only wear on special occasions; I wanted something that I could put in my purse and be able to wear with any look.  Why spend $40 on a lipstick that I would only wear once a month!?   Although this was expensive, I know I will be purchasing more since the quality is so great.  The color is perfect and the formula is so creamy and comfortable on the lips.  It has long staying power and a beautiful shine to it.  I absolutely love the gold packaging and it definitely feels luxurious when I pull it out.  It almost reminds me of being a little girl and watching my Mom or other ladies pull out a fancy lipstick from their purse.  Being a lover of makeup my whole life, I remember being excited for when I got old enough to carry and wear a pretty lipstick.  




I've been wearing lipstick for a long time and have too many MAC lipsticks to even count, but this is my first designer lip product.  Maybe you think lipstick isn't your thing, but I'm telling you ... next time you're down, treat yourself to a new lipstick and see if it gives you that pick-me-up you might need.  Yes there's more to life than just lipstick and yes lipstick doesn't solve the world's problems ... but sometimes life doesn't need to be so complicated and it's OK to accept the fact that yes, a lipstick might make you feel better.  My new lipstick didn't solve my problems but it does make me feel confident when I put it on and that's good enough for me. 


Wishing you all a happy weekend! 



    

No comments:

Post a Comment