Monday 9 June 2014

How I Painted my Kitchen Counters

Finally another kitchen update! A while ago I posted the final look of the kitchen and promised I would do a more detailed post on my experience with painting the counter tops! So here it is.

This idea was controversial to a lot of people.  We knew we didn't want to replace them due to the work and renovation process.  My husband and I after flipping our first house, renovating the basement in our new house as well as completely overhauling the bathroom (pics coming soon on that I promise!), are totally sick of renovations right now.  We aren't sick of house projects - we LOVE those! Just the idea of ripping things out, multiple trips to the dump, possible drywall repair, etc ... you get the idea.  
We know one day we will completely renovate the kitchen but now is not the time.  I did look into the counter top refinishing kits sold at Home Depot (made by Rustoleum) but just wasn't interested in the look and colors.  I also read they had a pretty potent smell meaning the kitchen would need to be well ventilated.  It still being pretty cold out at the time didn't really allow for that.  When comparing painting vs. the counter top kids they seemed to wear down the same way so again, I opted for the painting idea.  

Here is how I did it! 

1. Tape Edges

I usually don't use painters tape on edges when painting regular walls.  I would much rather buy a good quality paint brush and just be careful rather than taping it all.  I love to paint so over the years this has gotten much easier.  However, for this project there were a lot of little corners to get into and I wanted to make sure it was even so I just decided to tape all of the edges.  

2. Prime Counters



Next step is to prime the counters.  A good thing to do first is sand them down just to give the primer something extra to stick to.  I actually skipped this step due to being a little too excited to get started haha!  Plus this primer is awesome - it
 literally sticks to anything! I have even used this to prime vinyl flooring to prepare it to be painted and it was totally durable, no scratches.  I absolutely love it and it is always my go to.  



2. Paint!

Next step is to start painting!! I used the color "Swiss Coffee" by Behr - a nice classic white with a warmer undertone (wanted it bright and white but not 'cold').  I used regular latex kitchen & bathroom paint and a small foam roller.  I painted three coats to get a nice even color.  My original plan (and something you might want to do depending on your tastes) was to sand in between coats.  For this, the best is to use 220 sandpaper and lightly sand in between each coat once it is dry.  After sanding, use some tack cloth (a sticky cloth pictured below) to wipe off any of the dust.  This will provide a nice smooth look, however after my first coat I decided I really liked the textured look.  I thought the little bumps that the roller gave actually made it look like a real textured counter-top so I went with it!  




3. Protect


To protect the counters I used Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish.  I went with this water based protector because it will stay clear rather than taking on a slight yellow tone over time (that would only be noticeable with using white paint so it was appropriate in this case).  Due to the water base, the Polycrylic also has a less intense smell and dries faster so it was a win-win!  I painted three coats of this with a good quality paint brush.  I tried using a roller but found with the white paint, little bits of dust were attaching to the roller and showing up. Using a brush was definitely the best way to go in this case.  I originally planned on doing more coats for maximum durability but figured I would stick with three and see how it wears (if I get chips I can just touch up at that time).  

This all took me about three days but that was because I did it in between working full time. If not for that I could have done it in about two days if you take in to account drying time.  


So far we only have two little chips on the edge of one counter.    I am totally OK with this as I hated the counters before that much that I don't mind a couple touch ups here and there.  Plus the little marks are things only we notice - no one else would probably even see them!  Otherwise we have been letting ourselves use the counters as normal.  In the beginning we were so cautious and careful but figured I can always touch up so let's use them as normal and see how much they can really take.  So far so good! 

If you have any questions about my process in doing this let me know!  I would be happy to answer anything for you.  Overall we are so happy with this project.  I will post an update in a few months or so when we see how they continue to wear over time! 

Hopefully this post helps you if you have a kitchen project in mind or are planning on painting anything where you need that extra durability (a bathroom counter, a vanity top, a desk, etc ...)  

Have a wonderful day and as always, thanks for the support! 







No comments:

Post a Comment