Friday 14 November 2014

Fall Essentials 2014


Hello! 

Once again I have unintentionally taken a big blogging break! I don't really know why - I'm not sure if I have just been uninspired or just didn't think I had anything to say that was blog-worthy. 

Well I remembered how much I loved blogging and have decided to put my mind to some new ideas and am going to start it back up with some fall essentials (I totally missed September and October favorites so I figured I would lump them all together!).  Fall has quickly turned to winter here in Canada - but since it is still technically fall, I will share some of my favorites with you! 

1: Nail Polish: Essie - Take It Outside, Bahama Mama & Penny Talk


L: Bahama Mama, R: Penny Talk
Essie: Take It Outside (I realized I lent mine to my Mom!) Photo Cred: nailsave.com
I have been wearing these three colors non stop this fall (and I'm not usually a repeat polish offender - I tend to always switch it up). 

"Take It Outside" is a neutral greige from the Essie Fall 2014 collection.  It matches with everything and manages to be the perfect fall shade without being too dark or too light (if you love the classic "Chinchilly", this is a lighter version). 

"Bahama Mama" is a gorgeous purple/plum shade from the regular collection so no need to worry about it being limited edition.  There is just something special about this color - it's a deep cream berry shade and somehow looks pink, purple, wine and plum all at once.  It applies beautifully in two easy coats and although it's deeper it doesn't feel like a dark scary polish.  This shade also looks gorgeous on any skin tone. 


How pretty is "Penny Talk"!!
"Penny Talk" is a polish that totally plays into the trend of the past year of rose gold.  Rose gold is gorgeous and although it felt like a fad early on I have a feeling it isn't going anywhere - I still love it just as much as ever.  Rose gold jewelry may not be for everyone but adding it into your life with a nail polish is a great way start!  It would be pretty any time of year but just screams fall and holidays to me.       

2. Lipstick: Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey 


Top to Bottom: One, two then three swipes - see how build able it is, you can  choose your intensity 
I love the Clinique Almost Lipsticks - they are like a mixture between a lip balm and lipstick.  The color "Black Honey" initially looks a little scary (it totally looks almost black in the tube!) but when you swatch it it becomes the most beautiful berry/wine stain that looks different on everyone.  This was developed to be the "perfect" shade for every woman.  I don't remember where, but I did read that it is almost meant to resemble dried blood (AAHH gross I know! ... Sorry!) and that is the reason it looks good on everyone.  It enhances your natural lip tone beautifully.  It is also really build-able -because you can lightly put it on for a sheer wash of color, or layer it on its own or with a lip liner to intensify the pigment.  This quickly became a holy grail lip product for me.  So easy to throw in your bag and just put on at any time!   Don't be scared by the tube - I almost was but asked the Clinique rep. if I could test it and once I saw it on I immediately fell in love. 

3. Eyeshadow: Clinique Black Honey & Urban Decay Naked Palette 


Clinique Eyeshadow: Black Honey
When I purchased the Clinique lipstick I also checked out the "Black Honey" eyeshadow.  It is a beautiful warm burgundy/brown shade with a satin finish.  Clinique describes it as a "super shimmer" but I definitely don't find the shimmer overwhelming.  It's a beautiful shade for fall and I like wearing it lightly all over the lid then deepening the color in my crease.  I then take any matte cream shade to my brow bone and I'm good to go!  Super easy look for fall. 

Urban Decay Naked Palette
I have also been using my Urban Decay Naked palette a lot this fall.  I use it all year round but it's just perfect for fall with the warm brown and golden/bronze shades.  I love using "Naked" and "Buck" in my crease with "Darkhorse" on the outer half of my eye and on my lower lash line.  I also like to take "Smog" (a gorgeous bronze) and just put it all over my lid and add mascara for a quick eye look.  "Half Baked" is also the most beautiful gold and always a favorite - another one that I love to put on my lower lash line just to make the eyes glow!.  

4. Blush: Milani Baked Blush in Berry Amore & Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette

Milani Baked Blush: Berry Amore
The Milani blush in Berry Amore is gorgeous all year but I have been reaching for it a lot this fall. It's a pretty shimmery berry shade with some gold flecks.  I forgot about it during summer but reached for it again a couple weeks ago and have been wearing it non stop since! 


Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush Palette
The Hourglass Ambient Lighting blush palette is not cheap, I will warn you of that now ... hey I gave you a drugstore favorite with Milani so you can't be mad at me ;) However ... it is gorgeous!  So, if you want to treat yourself to something special and you love blush I highly recommend this.  The Hourglass blushes are about $45 each, but you can buy this palette of three for $59.  I wrote about the Ambient Lighting palette in this blog post so you can check that out to learn more about the ambient lighting system.  Basically they are designed to make you look like certain types of light are cast on your skin. The blush comes with "luminous flush", "incandescent flush" and "mood exposure" and I really love them all!

5. Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve Face Cream

 I purchased this face cream in the summer because I was in need of something new.  I am really loving this stuff and have been using it as both my day and night cream.  I usually have dry skin but can get more normal/oily throughout the day so typically I don't like to use a cream I would use at night, during the day.  This stuff smells gorgeous (almost like fresh cucumber) and just smooths out my skin. It doesn't irritate (I do have sensitive skin when it comes to scented face products) and keeps it nicely hydrated all day without feeling greasy.  My make-up applies so nice and smooth after using this.  I never thought I would be able to find something good for both day and night but I did with this and I justify the higher price for that reason.  Plus, I never mind splurging on skin care - I have learned it is so worth it and my skin has totally thanked me for it. 

* * * * * * * * * 

So there are just a few of the things I have been loving this fall! Let me know if you have tried any of these or some of your fall favorites! 

Thanks for reading and sticking with me and my blog through a lengthy break! With the holidays just around the corner I am definitely planning some fun new blog posts!






1 comment:

  1. Well , I must agree that the Milani Baked Blush- Berry Amore is everything that Alison has said. I was introduced by Alison to this product in Florida in April 2014 and have not used my MAC blush since. I love how it goes on and stays on. Ali , your Momma thanks you.... again!!

    ReplyDelete